Thursday, July 19, 2007

Stranded in the Ocean

Helio Ocean - QWERTY
Helio Ocean - QWERTY,
originally uploaded by anearthling.
So I was pretty stoked when Helio announced the release of the Ocean. Let it be known that I am an Apple kind of guy, through and through. However, there are a few reasons why I did hold out and continue to hold out on the purchase of an iPhone. It will happen. Just not yet. I'll save that for another post.

The Ocean offers a lot of what I was / am looking for in a phone. Some of the attributes on my list are: non-Windows OS, full QWERTY, a browser (not the standard paltry portals on most handsets), and a shooter with more than 1.3 megapixels. Beyond that I was / am looking for an unlimited data plan that doesn't cost more than my home broadband bill.

The Ocean hit the spot. I jumped in, knowing I'd be paying for my nuptial agreement with Verizon. And it hit the spot. Every spot except phone calls, that is. I have had a Palm Treo 700p for a year. Its a great pda and a miserable phone. But even its miserable self is better than the voice service I was getting in the Ocean. I had dropped calls in my house and at my desk at work, the two places that, when combined, equals 90% of my time. I can't have that.

Helio doesn't want you to call their devices a phone. Now I understand why. Its not a phone. At least not a good one.

I was bummed. I really like the design. Well done. It actually feels Apple-esque. Quality hardware. Excellent packaging. The keyboard is a bit cramped on the top row, but otherwise its a great keyboard. The picture quality is excellent. Music sounds great, though I can't for the life of me understand why manufacturers are pumping out devices for music and still using 2.5mm jacks instead of the standard 3.5mm. Regardless, the performance is good.

BUT, it still has to be a good phone with good service. So I called to cancel because Helio extends a 30-day trial. That initial call to cancel was on June 11. Its now July 19, and three calls later, I still have not rec'd the packing slip from Helio to return the Ocean and the Drift I bought for my wife. Not cool.

I'm a gadget fan. Its slightly more than a hobby for me. I take in RSS feeds and podcasts and check websites and forums about gadgets, specifically mobile technology. My friends and family know this about me, and will come to me for questions about which device or carrier they should go with. I'm not an evangelist, but I have influenced a lot of people to by Apple and Palm devices. Several.

I could have been an evangelist for Helio. On the contrary, now, I will steer any friends and family clear of Helio. An device is only as good as its service and the company that backs it up. Apple shines in this arena. Palm is faltering. But Helio has lost my respect out of the gate.

3 comments:

debs said...

Good to know about Helio. I wonder how long they have been around? Will this be something that is worked out in the future? I can't wait to get my iPhone - gonna have to wait for the $$ and for better service in our area, though.

Anonymous said...

the helio is honestly the best phone i ever had, much better than the iphone in all aspects.

Maybe you just have bad luck

Anonymous said...

Helio SUCKS!!!

I have been waiting 7 months and counting for a refund!

 
weewar.com corner